If I say that these are ridiculously easy vegetable fried rice, I am not kidding. This recipe of Indian vegetable fried rice is a perfect clean out the fridge recipe. There are so many of my recipes that are born out of necessity. Necessity to use up whatever I have on hand. I am telling you all that I have a problem. The problem of not letting anything go bad. This problem is made more complicated by buying a lot of fresh produce in the first place.
If you follow me on Facebook and Instagram, I post our dinner pictures there quite often. If you do not follow me, I would say why you do not. Go here for Facebook and here for Instagram. Anywho, few evenings ago, I posted this picture of our “katori lunch”. We take out all the katoris (Hindi for bowls) from the refrigerator and plan the whole meal around the katoris. I usually have leftover rice in the fridge. You see I am the only true rice lover in our family. The other three members of the kitchen docs family enjoy roti better than rice. I normally make a batch of rice (use this method or this) one evening to last me all week. About a fourth cup of cooked rice with my daal (recipes here and here) satisfies my craving. I am a carb lover for sure!
Recipe run down:
The real reason I love this Indian vegetable fried rice is because it’s a quick, easy meal. We are happy to sit down with a bowl of this dish, accompanied with some homemade yogurt, call it dinner done. It has veggies, grains and if you want to make it even more filling, then go ahead and add some eggs. You can use whatever veggies you like. Onions, carrots, and tomatoes are must haves. What makes this vegetable-fried rice “Indian”? It is all in the spices – first, we start with ginger and garlic and then the addition of garam masala, a big squeeze of lime, and cilantro pretty much seals the deal. Here is a handy dandy printable for you:
Indian Vegetable Fried Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 cup (packed) baby spinach
- 1 cob of corn kernels cut off with a sharp knife See notes
- 1 zucchini cut into four lengthwise and sliced
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups leftover cooked white rice
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin powder See notes
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 10 sprigs cilantro leaves stripped and chopped
- ½ lime juiced
- Set a heavy bottomed skillet (cast iron or non stick) on medium high heat and add the oil.
- Once the oil is nice and shiny add cumin seeds and wit for them to splutter.
- Add in ginger, garlic and green chili (see notes).
- Add onions, carrots, corn and zucchini and saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in spinach and cook till spinach is wilted and the moisture evaporates, another 3 minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes and cook for another minute.
- Add rice, break up any large clumps of rice and add all the seasonings. Mix well and heat until the rice and nice and hot, about 2 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro and lime juice. Mix, check and adjust salt if needed.
- Serve hot!
Simple isn't it? So next time you have some leftover rice and some veggies in the freezer, gice this a try, will you? If not, what are some of your favorite dishes to make with leftovers?
Love - Vaishali.