This Sweet Corn Soup recipe is easy and delicious. Made with simple, easy to find ingredients this flavorful soup is ready in under 30 minutes!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.Jump to Recipe
Hey friend! I want to share a simple and comforting sweet corn soup recipe here with you today. Sweet Corn soup in Fall/Winter, you ask? And I will totally agree with your apprehension. There is no fresh corn to be found this time of the year – so why a corn soup? I have always written about my love for seasonal and local produce, but the thing about this soup is that it does not use fresh corn (it of course could, and more on that in a bit).
Sweet Corn Soup is Indo-Chinese
This sweet corn soup belongs to the Indo-Chinese fusion dishes (like these schezwan corn and zucchini) page on an Indian restaurant menu. I have shared a few recipes in the past from this cuisine (Honey Chilli Potatoes, Chilli Paneer). And as bizarre as “Indo-Chinese” cuisine sounds, it is so good and tasty and is something that you can find only in Indian restaurants or street-carts. My Chinese friends have told me that the flavors and sauces we use are not even close to traditional Chinese foods. But then – So be it! At the end of the day, food has to taste good, make you happy and satisfy your soul. That is what matters. Cuisines, recipes, regions, are all man-made boundaries that, I believe, restrict you instead of empowering you.
Ingredients that you will need
Anyways, there is nothing complicated about this soup. The ingredient list is simple and easy to find and it comes together in a breeze and tastes great.
- Sweet Corn - Use canned cream style corn or see notes in the recipe card below if you want to use fresh corn (hello summer!)
- Vegetables - onions, carrots, green beans, and cauliflower - all chopped real fine. And frozen peas. You could also use frozen carrots and peas.
- Broth - use good quality vegetable broth with a mild flavor.
- Garnish - do not skip the green chili vinegar. It's legit a flavor bomb!
A family favorite
It is great for fall evenings to sit down and slowly slurp on all the veggie goodness. Our kids love it, it is packed with nutrition, and is a perfect start to a home-cooked meal. Now, if you want to make this soup in summer, when plenty of fresh corn is available, ditch the canned stuff, and use that tender, juicy, and sweet tasting corn that is flooding the grocery stores and farm stands. Please do! (See note at end of the recipe).
Sweet Corn Soup
- 1 can Cream Style Corn
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Grated Ginger
- 1 White Onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup Celery chopped
- ¼ cup Peas frozen
- 1 Carrot diced (about ¼ cup)
- ¼ cup Thinly sliced Green Beans
- ½ cup Finely chopped Cauliflower about ¼ head of a cauliflower
- Salt and black pepper– to taste
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- ½ cup Water to adjust consistency
- 2 Green Onions green parts thinly sliced for garnish
- 2 green chilies thinly sliced and mixed in 2 tablespoon white vinegar with a pinch of salt
- Soy sauce
- Set a dutch oven or stock pot on medium high heat and add oil into it.
- Add ginger and garlic, allow it to cook a little bit, without browning and then add in the chopped onions with a pinch of salt.
- Stir around for 30 seconds and then add chopped celery followed by peas, carrots, green beans, and cauliflower.
- Sauté everything together for a minute or two. Add the canned cream style corn and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well and then add the broth. Stir around and get a feel about the consistency of the soup you like. It is going to cook down a bit and thicken. Add water accordingly (I normally end up adding half a cup).
- Bring the soup to a boil, lower the heat and let it simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Check and adjust seasoning and serve hot garnished with sliced green onions and your choice of chili vinegar and soy sauce.
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and let me know how you liked it! Snap a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #thekitchendocs or share on Facebook, too.
Love – Vaishali
Dutch oven:Knife:Chopping board:Measuring cups: Measuring spoons:
This post was originally published in Jan 2018, and republished in February 2023.
This looks good! I like that it’s not a heavy cream based soup like most corn soups! Perfect for summer.
I had never even heard of Indo-Chinese before stumbling across your page, then realized I've eaten it previously lol. This corn soup looks absolutely delicious and it's perfect for clearing some old stuff out of the pantry too. I love those quick and fairly easy- but still comforting- dinners! This is one I will have to add to my list.
I love soup and we are always looking for new recipes. This one looks amazing and will definitely be added to our fall meal plan!
Sweetcorn soup, with a bit of prawns, yum.. I will have that any day
This sounds so YUMMY! I love corn - I'm actually obsessed with corn LOL totally making this, I'll substitute the cream corn and grate some corn from the cob instead.
That will be wonderful Angela. I have been thinking of trying that too. We have so much sweet corn right now here in Kansas
I am not a big fan of using corn in a soup, but I can substitute it because everything else looks delish! Yum!
Mmm this sounds delicious, I love sweet corn and soup!
This looks delish! It's super cold here in Canada, a hot cup of soup like this is exactly what I need to watch the snow from inside. Thanks for sharing
I've never had this but that sure does look good and I DO love corn!! I'll have to try this!
Hoang vi Fessenden
Omg I’m definitely trying this I love soup and corn!! And it looks amazing!
I've never had this type of soup but it does sound delicious.
This looks so YUMMY!
Thanks for sharing.
Looks yummy! Can't wait to try it
Neil Alvin Nicerio
Delicious! That'll be perfect for my steak. 🙂
Sweet corn soup is my favorite now I will try it with your wonderful recipe.
This looks amazing, and it not being heavy cream based it's perfect for those spring and summer nights, and of course in winter time also when you need to warm up, I am not that big a fan of corn soups, but I might just give this one a try
Tara at Beach Expressions
This sounds and looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.
LISA KAELA YU
That looks delicious!!! I love sweet corn so I'll have to try this out!
Looks so yummy makes me wanna do it right now!lol. I love corn soup so definitely going to give this a try!
My mother-in-law makes something similar to this. Will have to try.
I would love to try this recipe for corn soup.
This looks super but I never tasted corn soup before. Glad to comeby this
I like tomato and corn soups. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I do make this soup at home but in a different way. Next time I will try as per your suggestions. Probably next time, it will have different taste.
I've never had corn soup but, it sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing.
I'd love to have soup anytime of the day. And sweet corn is my favourite. I should try this sometime. 😊
CARMEN | Wellington World Travels
I love soup!!! Thanks for another simple recipe to try.
Hello Draw Easy
yummy ! I Love Soup !! ., Thank you for sharing Soup Recipe,
This looks so yummy and would be perfect for someone who's sick. Thanks for sharing.
This looks so appetizing. Thanks for sharing such a simple and yummy recipe. I would like to try it out, sometime.