A super easy roasted red bell pepper pasta recipe that packs a flavor punch with a creamy sauce made with roasted red bell peppers.
This post may contain affiliate links · As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchasesJump to Recipe
Peperoni al forno (roasted bell peppers/capsicum, I’m fancy like that!) are definitely something I like to keep on hand, mostly for my pasta salad but they are really big flavor enhancers while making hummus or this roasted red pepper sauce pasta. I mean roasting anything to deepen its flavor is really a no-brainer. You get that charred flavor and the process enhances the natural sweetness of most veggies.
One of my family’s favorite comfort foods is pasta, literally in any form. If Ms. A would have it her way, then it would be just pasta and sauce. But if I cooked based on her likes alone, we’d eat maybe 3-4 same dishes all the time. Though this pasta recipe is only sauce and pasta, it does have veggies hidden in it (did the title give it away? yikes!). It’s also a quick weeknight meal and takes less than 20 minutes to make (the same amount of time it takes to boil a pot of water and cook the pasta).
Roasted Red Bell Peppers
The recipe of this roasted red pepper sauce is simple and is perfect for those days when you don't feel like chopping a bunch of veggies or washing extra dishes. If you use jarred roasted red peppers (like I did), you can easily get this on the table rather quickly making it a perfect, nutritious and super flavorful weeknight meal (here's another great weeknight pasta recipe). Top with some freshly grated parmesan and some thyme for a restaurant-quality vegetarian pasta that will become a family favorite.
If you are roasting red bell peppers at home, you can start there. Roast on an open flame or grill then let sit in a bowl covered with a lid so that the skin steams and is easy to peel off. Or just use jarred roasted red bell peppers. Saute some rough chopped onion and garlic in olive oil and then blend them with the roasted red bell peppers. Add some Parmesan cheese and milk while blending to get a silky smooth sauce. Toss boiled pasta with the sauce, add seasonings and ta da!
Pasta - I used farfalle but any pasta shape should work - penne, rigatoni or even spaghetti or fettuccine
Veggies - just red bell peppers, onion and garlic. Easy peasy!
Dairy - I used milk and Parmesan for the sauce. If you want to make the pasta vegan or are dairy free, use a plant based milk and vegan cheese. In jennies kitchen has a great vegan Parmesan recipe.
Here’s your handy dandy printable:
Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce Pasta
- 1 16 oz jar Roasted Red Bell Peppers drained and sliced thick or 2 roasted red bell peppers
- ½ white onion chopped into chunks
- 3 big cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 cup milk
- ½ pound dried pasta farfalle
- Fresh thyme or basil to taste
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- Italian seasoning to taste
- Set a pot of water to boil. Season it with salt. Once the water comes to a boil, add the pasta. Cook according to package directions.
- In a frying pan, add olive oil along with chopped onion and garlic. Saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the contents to a blender and add the roasted red bell peppers, parmesan cheese, and milk to it. Blend until smooth.
- Return the sauce to the same frying pan and turn the heat on to medium. Add the cooked pasta, salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning and fresh thyme leaves. If desired, add more parmesan cheese while serving.
If you make this Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce pasta, please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I would love to hear from you guys. And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram and Facebook! I love to look through your creations!!
Love – Vaishali