Jump to Recipe
An easy one pot vegetarian pasta that is perfect for a weeknight meal. Add cheese to make it a caprese of sorts or skip it to keep the pasta vegan.
A well-stocked pantry has always helped me with a lot of our family’s go to, busy weeknight meals. And when the one-pot meal is wildly flavorful like this Easy Vegetarian Pasta, it’s a literal jackpot. The easiest, sauciest, one pot tomato garlic and basil pasta…our perfect bowl of comfort food anytime of the year. During summer use the freshest tomatoes that you can find and during other seasons use your trusted marinara from the pantry or a combination - whatever makes your skirt fly up! This simple tomato garlic and basil pasta is made in under 30 minutes, uses just one pot, and is a great way to get dinner going on busy weeknights. It’s saucy, garlicky, packed with flavor, and finished with fresh basil. Everyone in the house will enjoy this dish, I promise!
Dr. A does the dishes in our house (and loads the dishwasher), so sometimes I like to give him a break by saving on using extra pots and pans. Just kidding. But really, we all can use less dish washing time and more enjoying the dinner time.
This One Pot Pasta Works!
Now, you all know that I do most of my cooking the old fashioned way. So, when I first saw that people (I mean some pretty high profile people in the food world) were making one pot pastas, I had my doubts. But a little nudge from Ms. A and the thought of ease and comfort of a one pot dish made me do it. And there’s been no looking back.
I like to think of it as cooking one pot rice (like these) or this one pot orzo with a lot more flavor and value addition. All the flavor elements - good quality extra virgin olive oil, lots of garlic, onion, basil, tomatoes, broth, and a flavorful marinara. Once you have all the ingredients, it all begins. Building the layers of flavors, one over the other, step by step. All in the ease and convenience of one pot.
We start with the aromatics in a dutch oven or sauce pan - onion and garlic followed by tomatoes and the dry pasta. Seasoning, broth and marinara go in. And then we wait for everything to come to a happy boil and get all intimate and be merry. Add cheese if your heart desires and more basil. Serve it and get ready to be blown away by its simplicity.
Here’s your handy dandy printable:
Easy One-Pot Vegetarian Pasta
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup good quality jarred marinara sauce
- 4 cups broth vegetable or chicken
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 lb dry pasta of your choice fusilli or similar shape
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup fresh cheese mozzarella for caprese, otherwise fresh Parmesan works too (optional)
- Set a large sauce pan or dutch oven (that has a lid, we will use it later) on medium high heat.
- Add olive oil, garlic and onions. Give it a quick stir and then add tomatoes, pasta, marinara, salt, and black pepper, basil, and broth.
- Turn the heat to high, and bring this flavor concoction to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is cooked.
- Turn the heat off, uncover and stir in the fresh mozzarella cheese (if using) and some fresh basil. Enjoy!
If you make this Easy One Pot vegetarian Pasta, please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Coach Erin and I would love to hear from you guys. And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram and Facebook! I love to look through your creations!!
Love – Vaishali