This Vegetable Grilled Cheese Sandwich is the perfect mix of veggies, cheese, chutney, butter and bread! A budget friendly meal that does not fall short on flavor or nutrition.
“I received free samples of Cabot Cheese mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Cabot Cheese and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES.Jump to Recipe
A sandwich now?
Things have been insanely busy around here the past few days. Today was no different and tomorrow is no different. I should be snoozing but here I am typing away - excited to share this Vegetable Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe with you, I will blame it on this recipe that triggered a major trip down the memory lane to the times when Dr. A and I were dating. Though it’s not the exact sandwich but pretty close. It is inspired by a Mushroom and Cheese sandwich that we used to enjoy with a frappe at a restaurant called Bakes and Beans. The concept is the same - bread, lots of cheese, sauteed veggies (instead of mushrooms because kids), mint cilantro chutney and more cheese. Ain’t nothing wrong with this one!!
Anatomy of a Grilled Cheese
Every great grilled cheese sandwich has to have two main components - good quality cheese and a good bread. This vegetable grilled cheese is next level. Creamy sauteed mixed vegetables tucked in between the goodness of bread and gourmet Cabot cheeses. We love a good grilled cheese in our house and this Spicy Grilled Cheese is a regular. I like that there is a healthy nutritional twist to a basic grilled cheese with addition of fresh vegetables. A flavor upgrade to a basic grilled cheese with mint cilantro chutney and a major gooeyness upgrade with Cabot cheddars.
Why Cabot Cheese?
Can we please talk about the awesomeness of Cabot cheeses? Do you know that Cabot is a cooperative owned by 800 farm families throughout New England & New York with 100% of their profits going back to the farmers? The thing that I was most surprised to learn about Cabot cheddar cheeses was that these are 100% naturally lactose-free, naturally aged, and naturally gluten-free. Yes please!
Meals on a budget
Ms. A is not a big fan of mushrooms and I strongly dislike different meals for different members of the family. So I came up with this mixed vegetable sandwich. This vegetable grilled cheese is a complete vegetarian meal in itself. A meal that is refrigerator and budget friendly. I strongly believe that eating healthy should not be more expensive than grabbing a junk meal from a fast food chain restaurant. This thought also ties back to Cabot creamery’s belief that cutting food cost should not mean cutting on flavor. And this is exactly what this vegetable grilled cheese sandwich is. Cost -effective, flavorful and healthy.
So what are you waiting for? Grab a chopping board, knife, grater, and a skillet and that's it. Dive right in!
Here’s yer printer friendly version:
Vegetable Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped bell peppers I used 1 green and 1 orange bell pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon cow’s milk cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup mint cilantro chutney
- 1 tablespoon thick yogurt
- Pink Himalayan salt to taste optional
- 8 slices bread
- 1 cup Cabot Vermont Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Room temperature Butter for toasting
- Mix the mint cilantro chutney with yogurt, add pink Himalayan salt and set aside. This is your chutney spread.
- Set a skillet on medium high heat. Add olive oil and once the oil is shiny and hot, add the chopped veggies. If you are using fresh garlic, you can add it now. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then add garlic powder (skip if using fresh garlic), salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Mix and add the cream cheese. Cook for 2 more minutes or until the cream cheese is completely incorporated.
- While the veggies are cooking, shred the cheeses.
- After 2 minutes, turn the heat off and transfer the veggie mixture to a bowl. Wipe the skillet with a clean paper towel and return it to medium low heat.
- Place two slices of bread on a chopping board. Add ¼ cup of Cabot Vermont Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese on one slice and top it with a ½ cup of veggie mixture. Pile it up with ¼ cup of Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
- Slather the other slice of bread with about a tablespoon of chutney spread. Take this slice and put it on top of the slice with cheeses and veggies. Gently press down.
- Slather the top slice with butter and move the sandwich to the hot skillet, buttered slice down.
- Spread butter on the top slice. Using a spatula slowly flip the sandwich, press slightly with the spatula, turn the heat to low and cover with a dome to melt the cheese.
- Cook the vegetable grilled cheese over low heat until golden on both sides and until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the skillet, slice and enjoy.
If you make this Vegetable Grilled Cheese Sandwich, be sure to leave a comment and let me know how you liked it! Snap a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #thekitchendocs or share on Facebook, too.
Love – Vaishali.