This shop has been compensated by Inmar Intelligence and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SavortheSizzle #GreenMountainGringo #CheckOutOurBackside
These easy vegan rainbow tacos are filled with bomb salsa tofu meat, sauteed vegetables, and a delicious tangy coleslaw. All the colors in the rainbow packed in a handy little gluten free taco.
The Health point
There are few things that I love more than fresh, seasonal produce and designing recipes around it. But sometimes you need that little bit of an oomph or flavor push so that the recipe appeals to everyone’s taste buds while still carrying the boatload of nutrition that you intended it to. Around this time of the year there are so many colorful and fresh seasonal vegetables. Do you know that each specific color of a vegetable has a certain nutrient attached to it? For example - purple or blue veggies are rich in vitamins A, C and K; greens are generally rich in iron, potassium and phytochemicals like sulforaphane; alpha and beta-carotenes can be found in yellow and orange veggies; lycopene in reds and so on. You get the idea, right?
The Flavor point
Every single component of this recipe of vegan rainbow tacos is nutritionally relevant and has a part to play. To up the protein in these vegan rainbow tacos, I added tofu “meat” flavored with Green Mountain Gringo® Mild Salsa. Adding this salsa is a game changer and takes the tofu to a flavor peak. I loved it so much that I ended up adding the salsa to the sauteed veggies as well. Because, why not! Green Mountain Gringo® has had a long history of providing delicious products with truly clean ingredient labels. They make high quality food products for health/ingredients conscious people and are confident in what they sell. They have developed a proposition for those that want to eat delicious foods, and expect a healthy option, to “Check Out Our Backside.”
Green Mountain Gringo® Mild Salsa is a star ingredient in these vegan rainbow tacos but the coleslaw is legit too. It is so fresh and flavorful that this red carpet worthy recipe would be lacking a touch of sparkle without it. The bright purple and orange from the cabbage and carrots and the deep and fresh flavor of mustard and vinegar concoction. Gluten free corn tortillas form the perfect vessel to carry this deliciousness from the plate to your mouth and to transport you to flavor heaven!!
I topped the tacos with some chopped cilantro, sliced avocado and a lime wedge. Serve with some guac and more Green Mountain Gringo® Mild Salsa on the side. And this, ladies and gentleman, is the final act.
I believe that as the awareness about quality ingredients, tying our food choices to health of our planet, and cooking quick and healthy meals at home increases so will the demand of flavorful and healthy ingredients like Green Mountain Gringo® products. Green Mountain Gringo® customers are demanding more transparency from food manufacturers. Everything Green Mountain Gringo® does is to nourish the community, by using high quality ingredients to make products that are healthy and taste great. You can use this link to locate a store near you.
Recipe round up
Plan ahead! Start this recipe by making the slaw so that while you prep other components, the flavors can mingle. For tofu: if you want your tofu to have a great texture, get a block of extra firm tofu and press it with something heavy for 30 minutes. If you don’t have that much time, that’s OK too. Your tofu will be slightly softer. Cook the tofu with Green Mountain Gringo® Mild salsa and some taco seasoning. While tofu is cooking, slice the rainbow veggies - I used red onions, orange bell peppers, yellow corn and green broccoli. Take the tofu out in a bowl and saute the veggies with some of the Green Mountain Gringo® Mild Salsa, garlic powder, salt and pepper on super high heat.
Assemble tacos on flame grilled or warmed corn tortillas. Tofu meat, veggies, purple cabbage slaw, guac, Green Mountain Gringo® Mild Salsa, avocado, lime wedge…don’t stop - go to town with it!!!
Here’s your handy dandy printable:
Vegan Rainbow Tacos | Gluten Free, Easy
- 1 cup Green Mountain Gringo® Mild salsa divided plus more for serving
Vegan Tofu Meat:
- 16 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
Sauteed Rainbow Veggies:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 c sliced red onion about 1 small onion
- 1 c sliced colored bell pepper red or orange
- ½ c corn kernels fresh or frozen
- ½ c broccoli florets cut small
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
Red Cabbage Coleslaw:
- 2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar or maple syrup
- 18 corn tortillas
- Guacamole/sliced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Start by pressing your extra firm tofu. Take it out from the packaging, wrap in a clean kitchen towel and press it down with something heavy for about 30 minutes to get the moisture out.
- In a deep mixing bowl add the shredded cabbage and carrots. In a small bowl whisk together all other ingredients given under slaw and add to the mixing bowl with cabbage and carrots. Mix everything and chill until ready to use.
- Set a heavy bottomed skillet (preferably cast iron or non-stick) on high heat. Add the sliced onions and sweat the onions for about a minute before adding the other veggies. Cook on high heat for two minutes until slightly charred.
- Add ¼ cup of Green Mountain Gringo® Mild salsa, taco seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Give everything a mix and cook on high heat for two minutes. Take the veggies out in a bowl.
- In the same pan in which you cooked veggies, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Take the tofu out from under the press, unwrap the kitchen towel and with your hands shred the tofu into the pan. Add ¾ c of Green Mountain Gringo® Mild salsa and taco seasoning. Mix everything and cook for about a minute.
- If you have a gas stove, warm up the tortillas directly on the flame. Otherwise, wrap 4-6 tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30-45 sec. Take a warm tortilla, add the vegan taco meat, rainbow veggies and the slaw. Sprinkle chopped cilantro and serve with sliced avocado/guacamole, more Green Mountain Gringo® Mild salsa and a lime wedge. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating! I love to hear from you guys. And if you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram and Facebook! I love to look through your creations!!
Love – Vaishali!